Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Post Sixteen, Jehovah

Wednesday 31 July 2013

Since I found the Precepts Austin web site I was not going to continue with the names of God study. This web site is so comprehensive I thought there really was no need, but, I have come to realize that I need to finish this study. It has been my desire to know the names of God, to be able to call upon Him by His name, to know Him by these attributes, and I have found that I can only remember those names that I have put in a post. So, even if this is only for me, I need to finish this.

Having said that, I know God's word does not return void, and I pray this will bless you also.

Let's pick up at Jehovah. The first time this name is used is in Genesis 2:4 - "This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD GOD made earth and heaven."

Any time you see LORD in the Old Testament it means Yahweh or Jehovah, and when you see Lord it means Adonai.

Nathan Stone said, "Thus when we read the name Jehovah, or LORD in capital letters, in our Bible, we think in terms of being or existence and life, and we must think of Jehovah as the Being who is absolutely self existent, the One who in Himself possesses essential life, permanent existence."

In Exodus chapter 3, when God called Moses from the burning bush, Moses responded,

Genesis 3:13
"Then Moses said to God, 'Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I shall say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you.' Now they may say to me, 'What is His name? What shall I say to them?'"

Genesis 3:14
"And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, 'Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

I AM WHO I AM is the inner meaning of Yahweh, "I am the One who is." This emphasizes "God's dynamic and active self-existence." I AM WHO you need Me to be when you need Me to be it. He is the Alpha and the Omega (the Beginning and the End), the same yesterday, today, and forever. He never changes.

James 1:17
"Every good thing bestowed and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation, or shifting shadow."

My daughter reminded me that when Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane, when the soldiers came to arrest Him this exchange occurred,

John 18:4
"Jesus therefore, knowing all the things that were coming upon Him, went forth, and said to them, 'Whom do you seek?'"

John 18:5
"They answered Him, 'Jesus the Nazarene.'" He said to them, "I am He." And Judas also who was betraying Him, was standing with them."

John 18:6
"When therefore He said to them, 'I am He,' they drew back, and fell to the ground."

"He" is italicized because it was added by the translators. Jesus actually said, "I Am" and so powerful was His statement that men, those who did not even know Him, who had come to arrest Him, fell back to the ground. Hallelujah - what a mighty God we serve!

Exodus 33:18
"Then Moses said, 'I pray Thee, show Me Thy glory!'"

And God's response was:

Exodus 34:5
"And the LORD descended in the cloud and stood there with him as he called upon the name of the LORD."

Exodus 34:6
"Then the LORD passed by in front of him and proclaimed, 'The LORD, the LORD GOD, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth;'"

Show Me Your Glory by Jesus Culture

I put a link to the Precepts Austin page under blogs I read, or something like that, on the side under followers and about me.
So much for shorter posts!
I pray the Lord rains down showers of blessings on you today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment