Monday, August 23, 2010

El Elyon - God Most High

Jesus Is Enough – Day Four
Monday 23 August 2010
Bible Study

How Great Is Our God by Chris Tomlin



Today we will study the name El Elyon. It is used twenty-eight times in the Old Testament, nineteen in Psalms alone.

El is another word that is translated “God”, but it can be used with other words to describe God’s attributes, such as, Elyon, which literally means “Most High”. It expresses the majesty, strength and extreme sovereignty of God.

The first place it is used is in the Old Testament, Genesis 14:18.

We will go back to the beginning of Genesis 14. There is war brewing in the valley of Siddim, five kings came out against four. Two of the five were the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah.

We will pick up the story in verse 10:

Genesis 14:10 – Now the valley of Siddim was full of tar pits; and the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, and they fell into them. But those who survived fled to the hill country.

Genesis 14:11 – Then they took all the goods of Sodom and Gomorrah and all their food supply, and departed.

Genesis 14:12 – And they also took Lot, Abram’s nephew, and his possessions and departed, for he was living in Sodom.

Genesis 14:13 – Then a fugitive came and told Abram the Hebrew. Now he was living by the oaks of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol and brother of Aner, and these were allies with Abram.

Genesis 14:14 – And when Abram heard that his relative had been taken captive, he led out his trained men, born in his house, three hundred and eighteen, and went in pursuit as far as Dan.

Genesis 14:15 – And he divided his forces against them by night, he and his servants, and defeated them, and pursued them as far as Hobah, which is north of Damascus.

Genesis 14:16 – And he brought back all the goods, and also brought back his relative Lot with his possessions, and also the women, and the people.

Genesis 14:17 – Then after his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him, the king of Sodom went out to meet him at the valley of Shaveh (that is, the King’s Valley).

Genesis 14:18 – And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; now he was a priest of God Most High.

Genesis 14:19 – And he blessed him and said,
“Blessed be Abram of God Most High,
Possessor of heaven and earth;

Genesis 14:20 – And blessed be God Most High,
Who has delivered your enemies into your hand.”

And he gave him a tenth of all.

Genesis 14:21 – And the king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give the people to me and take the goods for yourself.”

Genesis 14:22 – And Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I have sworn to the LORD God Most High, possessor of heaven and earth,

Genesis 14:23 – that I will not take a thread or a sandal thong or anything that is yours, lest you should say, ‘I have made Abram rich.’

Genesis 14:24 – “I will take nothing except what the young men have eaten, and the share of the men who went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their share.”

It is clear Abram had prayed about going out against the four kings who had defeated the five kings (three really, since the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled) and God gave him and the three hundred and eighteen men, what seems like, an easy victory. They not only defeated them, they pursued them.

Then Melchizedek met him and blessed him, and called him Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth.

Abram made a choice for what God Most High had for him rather than the deal that the king of Sodom offered him. Abram put his trust in El Elyon rather than a man. This was before the covenant. But, still Abram recognized God as El Elyon, sovereign, mighty, Most High, Most Exalted God, possessor of heaven and earth. Abram decided to trust El Elyon.

El Elyon has so much more to offer. I have to remind myself that I want what God has for me and not make a deal, so that anyone could say, ‘I have made you rich.’ What could man offer that would be more than El Elyon – God Most High?

Psalm 57

For the choir director; set to Al-tashheth. A Mikhtam of David, when he fled from Saul, in the cave.

v. 1 – Be gracious to me, O God, be gracious to me,
For my soul takes refuge in Thee;
And in the shadow of Thy wings I will take refuge,
Until destruction passes by,

v. 2 – I will cry to God Most High,
To God who accomplishes all things for me;

v. 3 – He will send from heaven and save me;
He reproaches him who tramples upon me. [Selah.
God will send forth His lovingkindness and His truth.

v.4 – My soul is among lions; I must lie among those who breathe forth fire,
Even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows,
And their tongue a sharp sword.

v.5 – Be exalted above the heavens, O God;
Let Thy glory be above all the earth,

v.6 – They have prepared a net for my steps;
My soul is bowed down;
They dug a pit before me;
They themselves have fallen into the midst of it. [Selah.

v.7 – My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast;
I will sing, yes, I will sing praises!

v.8 – Awake, my glory;
Awake, harp and lyre,
I will awaken the dawn!

v.9 – I will give thanks to Thee, O Lord, among the peoples;
I will sing praises to Thee among the nations.

v.10 – For Thy lovingkindness is great to the heavens,
And Thy truth to the clouds.

v.11 – Be exalted above the heavens, O God;
Let Thy glory be above all the earth.

Pretty awesome to be able to pray this when you are hiding in a cave. David definitely knew God as El Elyon. He was able to call out to El Elyon in a time of trouble. Who else can we turn to? Who else can help like Elohim (Our Creator) or El Elyon (God Most High)? Man may have compassion, man may do their best, hope and pray, but only God can completely meet our need. Like Abraham and David we have to develop trust in Him to know Him.

There is so much more to learn in just these verses, but it takes us away from the names of God, so another time.

Please spend time in worship.

Came To My Rescue by Hillsong United

No comments:

Post a Comment